St Stephens Paraochial School
Building of St.Stephens began in 1859 and the School first opened its doors to the children of Dublin in 1861, under the guidance of Headmaster Isaac Woodley and headmistresses Margaret and Jane Dowdall.
A peak of 307 children attended St Stephens in 1892 - a number partly achieved by the children from the married quarters of the nearby Beggars Bush Military Barracks.
By 1910 Mr Samuel Flynn was Principal of the School, where he lived with his wife in the adjoining masters residence, until his retirement in 1925. In those days, many of the assistant teachers had accommodation in the little rooms above the classrooms, an unusual feature of the building. Another existing feature is the present kitchen, which once served as a domestic science room for the girls of the school.
The honour of final principal went to Miss Hilda Foster who held office from 1956 to 1969.
During 1961, the schools centenary year, the two classrooms being used were extensively modernised. Ceilings were lowered to conserve heat and new equipment was bought. Many of the schools desks had been used as barricades at the battle of Mount Street Bridge and carried in them bullet marks and pieces of shrapnel. New toilets were built and the tall chimneys, a feature of the building were rebuilt to prevent more deterioration.
The total cost of these renovations was £2,100 and all for the benefit of only 42 children on the roll.
It was inevitable that the Department of Education would move for closure and it did in the year of 1969. But for 108 years St Stephens Parochial School served well generations of teachers, pupils and the local parish.
St Stephens Parochial School was left idle until 1997 when it was bought by The Sweeney Hotel Group and the ambitious task of restoring the building to its former glory was undertaken. Under a team of dedicated designers and architects The Schoolhouse Hotel in Ballsbridge Dublin 4 opened its doors in 1998 to tremendous reviews from the public and the media. It has retained many of its origional features Its former classrooms now host the Award Winning Schoolhouse Restaurant and lively Schoolhouse Bar.
Within easy reach of the School House Hotel, particularly for those interested in sport is Aviva Stadium, the international home of Irish Rugby and Soccar. Newly rennovated, the Aviva Stadium is to begin a new chapter in its history. For business travellers attending the Aviva Stadium Convention Centre or an of the Aviva Events, the School House Hotel is the perfect luxury retreat to relax and unwind.
Since its opening The School House Ballsbridge Hotel Ireland has been renowned as one of the most unique and beautiful properties in the city.